Job Posting: Incubator Director
Incubator Director, Cal State LA BioSpace
California State University, Los Angeles
Position: Incubator Director
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Reports jointly to: Executive Director, University Auxiliary Service, and Associate Vice President for Research, California State University, Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles, CA
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is seeking a Director for Cal State LA BioSpace, a business incubator designed to jump start bioscience companies and encourage the growth of the bioscience sector in Los Angeles. Scheduled to open in 2020, Cal State LA BioSpace will provide wet and dry lab space, common equipment and expertise to enable startup bioscience businesses to turn their innovations into products and viable businesses. The Director will be responsible for launching the incubator and managing its operations and programs, recruiting and assisting the startup members, and engaging with faculty and students on campus as well as entrepreneurs and partners in the Los Angeles ecosystem. This is an exciting opportunity for a results-oriented individual with an entrepreneurial mindset who enjoys working with early stage bioscience companies and engaging with the community.
Located prominently at the gateway to the Cal State LA campus, the two-story incubator facility will have 20,000 sf of space, including wet lab, dry lab, coworking and meeting space, along with shared equipment. It is designed to house up to 25 companies. The building shell is complete, and the build out of the interior laboratories and offices is currently underway and scheduled for completion by early 2020. The incubator is conveniently located 5 miles from downtown Los Angeles, adjacent to the I-10 and I-710 freeways. The construction of the Cal State LA BioSpace incubator facility is jointly funded by $3 million grant from L.A. County, $3.2 million grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration, a philanthropic gift and Cal State LA. The incubator will host programs for its bioscience startups and serve as a hub in the region.
Cal State LA BioSpace builds upon Cal State LA’s highly successful, Cal State LA BioStart Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp program, which provides intensive training and mentoring in the areas of business fundamentals, leadership, and bioscience business, and holds a number of networking events. The program recently completed its fifth cohort.
As part of the Regional Bioscience Initiative identified in the L.A. County bioscience master plan (based upon a 2014 Battelle Report), Cal State LA BioSpace is designed to provide lab space, develop talent and commercialize technology in the bioscience sector. Multiple partners are engaged in this initiative, and the Director will have a visible role working with those partners and the community.
Cal State LA BioSpace is the central component of the bioscience initiative at Cal State LA, which is a premier, comprehensive university located in the heart of Los Angeles, and dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the nation for the upward mobility of its students. Cal State LA is committed to engaged regional growth and prosperity.
- Manage the launch of the incubator, from opening to a fully functional lab and office facility and program.
- Facilitate the final build out of the incubator and selection of common equipment for the wet lab space, while coordinating with Cal State LA facilities planning staff.
- Develop operating policies and procedures such as the application and selection process for member startups, facility use, programs, access to University resources, and day-to-day facility operations.
- Create and implement a marketing plan that will generate a pipeline of bioscience startups for the opening date.
- Facilitate relationships with faculty, staff and students, and encourage their participation in Cal State LA BioSpace.
- Network with partners and others in the LA ecosystem in order to promote the opening of Cal State LA BioSpace.
- Manage the launch budget.
- Coordinate closely with Cal State LA leadership.
- Perform other responsibilities related to the opening of the incubator.
Management and Marketing:
- Direct all aspects of the incubator’s day-to-day operations.
- Manage incubator facilities that include wet lab, dry lab, coworking, offices and shared equipment.
- Develop a plan for financial sustainability and manage the incubator budget.
- Work closely with University Advancement to attract new funding sources to support operations.
- Work closely with the Director of Incubator Development & Programming at Cal State LA, who manages the Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp.
- Continue to market Cal State LA BioSpace and network both within the ecosystem and on campus in order to successfully recruit members, which include early-stage bioscience companies, for the incubator.
- Screen and select member startups for the incubator.
- Perform other responsibilities related to the management of the incubator.
Partnerships and Ecosystem:
- Build upon the relationships already established with organizations in the ecosystem, including those involved with bioscience, healthcare, economic development and entrepreneurial support, and create new relationships that will enhance Cal State LA BioSpace and help to achieve the goals of the bioscience initiative.
- Work with the appropriate University departments, faculty, staff and students to advance the goals of the bioscience initiative and incubator.
- Execute the strategy and plan developed for Cal State LA BioSpace and adapt, as needed, in order to achieve the targeted mission and goals.
- Develop future strategic plans for Cal State LA BioSpace in coordination with University leadership.
- Provide advice and assistance to members on business and technical issues that will enable their bioscience businesses to start and grow successfully.
- Create and implement programs, services and events that are designed to enhance the performance of bioscience entrepreneurs and monitor the performance of these activities.
- Closely coordinate with the Bioscience Entrepreneurs Boot Camp and other programs on campus that are aligned with the incubator mission.
- Engage mentors and subject matter experts that can advise members.
- Assist members with access to capital, including forging linkages with angel investors and venture capitalists.
- Integrate students and faculty into the activities of Cal State LA BioSpace.
- Results-oriented manager with an entrepreneurial approach that possesses a minimum of 5 years of business, business development or other relevant experience.
- Experience in the bioscience, medical, medical device or related science fields.
- Ability to coach entrepreneurs and build a network of resources to support and assist early stage bioscience companies.
- Operating experience with a bioscience lab or facility.
- Proven ability to cultivate partnerships and practice diplomacy with external organizations and internally.
- Ability to market, promote and recruit bioscience entrepreneurs to join the incubator.
- Experience managing a budget and the ability to create a financially sustainable program; fundraising skills preferred.
- Knowledge of business incubation or other programs that support entrepreneurship and business startup is desirable. Preference given to experienced managers of entrepreneurial support programs.
- Experience as a company founder, early management team member, or small business owner or management team member is a plus.
- Working knowledge with venture investing is preferred. Experience with government grants, including Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grants, is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working in a university or other structured environment preferred.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong networker and collaborator.
- Hard working, problem-solver and project manager.
- Ability to manage and motivate a small staff.
Minimal Education Requirements:
- Bachelors’ degree required; Master’s degree (MBA or M.S.), preferred.
Fingerprinting will be taken and checked by the California Department of Justice and FBI.
Review of applications/résumés will continue until September 30, 2019; however, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications/ résumés are received. In order to be considered please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may inquire to: email@example.com
UAS hires only those individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Americans with Disabilities (ADA) requested accommodations should be made in advance to the UAS Human Resources Department.
Cal State LA University Auxiliary Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.